Angina from the point of view of Ayurveda
Angina is a chest pain that occurs when the blood supply to the heart muscles is restricted. Its symptoms include pain radiating to the left arm, breathlessness, palpation, sweating, nausea, dizziness and heaviness. Angina attack is usually triggered by physical activity or stress and typically only lasts for a few minutes.
Blood supply of the coronary arteries gets blocked due to following reasons:
accumulation of cholesterol in the major arteries that bring blood to the heart
stress and tension
when the heart has to pump more blood into the brain and after some time it gets exerted, it could lead to angina pain
exposure to very hot or cold temperatures
consumption of heavy, oily and junk foods
Ayurveda considers that angina occurs when Ama (toxins) accumulate in heart channels and cause blockage.
According to Ayurveda, aggravation of one or more of the doshas may cause chest pain. It could be due to aggravated Kapha dosha, as it is a heavy dosha, dense, sticky, wet. Also in angina, Ama accumulated in hridya (heart) channels can cause blocks due to which Vata dosha increases due to obstructions, thus leading to pain or overexertion of Pitta dosha as well.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat angina
Ayurveda recommends reducing foods and lifestyle habits that aggravate Doshas. In Ayurveda, angina is also described to occur as a complication of other diseases.
- Factors that cause angina:
- Over exertion of body
- Mental trauma
- Unhealthy food
- Consumption of too hot food
- Too much Ama (toxins) in the body
Ayurveda is successful in angina treatment. According to symptoms and doshas balance , the following Ayurvedic formulations could be prescribed: Brahmi Churna, Jatamansi Churna, Ashwagandha Churna, Arjuna Twak, Dashmooladi kwath, Brahmi Vati. All of the medicines must be used according to an Ayurvedic doctor's recommendations.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of angina:
- Avoid fatty, heavy and junk foods
- Avoid eating salt
- Carbohydrate rich diet must be followed
- Drink a lot of water. Water will help to remove the toxins build up in the arteries
- Exercise regularly
- Practice yoga
- Eat two or three raw garlic cloves on empty stomach to lower blood pressure
- Soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds overnight in water. Have it next day early morning on an empty stomach
- Drink coriander every day to reduce cholesterol in the body
- Take one tablespoon of onion juice in the morning on an empty stomach. This is very effective in relieving angina pain
Check the Ayurvedic treatment for other cardio diseases:
Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Ischaemic Heart Disease, High blood pressure, Low blood pressure, Atherosclerosis, Coronary artery disease - Ischaemic, Deep vein thrombosis, Heart failure, Peripheral arterial disease, Arrhythmia, Myocarditis, Varicose veins, Rheumatic heart disease, Anemia, Pericarditis , Endocarditis.