Myocarditis from the point of view of Ayurveda
Myocarditis is a disease marked by inflammation and damage of the heart muscle. Myocarditis is a rare type of heart disease – “Myo” means heart and “carditis” means inflammation. It can affect both children (called pediatric myocarditis) and adults.
Myocarditis can cause blood flow to be reduced in certain parts of the body, and may lead to blood clots developing in the heart.
The most common causes of myocarditis are viral infections, autoimmune diseases, bacterial infections, drug or medication use, or, rarely, tick/insect bites. Myocarditis can increase the risk for scar tissue developing on the heart, a heart attack, heart failure or stroke.
Symptoms of myocarditis:
- shortness of breath
- fatigue and weakness
- abnormal heart rhythms
- chest pains or pressure
- swelling in the legs and arms due to fluid retention
- sudden loss of consciousness
According to Ayurveda, myocarditis is Pitta dosha disease.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat myocarditis
This Pitta heart disease concerns the aggravated function of the cardiac vein system, and is treated with the regular Pitta treatments and diet, together with laxatives for detoxification of the body. Herbal medicines such as Arjuna bark or Ghritam, Panchamulam (five roots compound), Bala plant (country mallow / Sida cordifolia), Madhukam root (licorice / Glycyrrhiza glabra), Baladyam can be prescribed on the advice of a Ayurvedic doctor.
When treating heart diseases of all types, pure clean air is essential to have the best results – an Ayurvedic doctor will advise different Pranayama techniques, for which accurate execution is very important.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of myocarditis:
- Keep your cholesterol levels under control
- Prevent respiratory conditions like asthma
- Improve the functioning of your digestive system
- Control your blood pressure levels
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Practice breathing techniques
- Drink lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach
- Many sour fruits have cardio-restorative properties, including pomegranate, half-ripe mango, rhubarb, citron, jujube, and orange. Eat it daily
Check the Ayurvedic treatment for other cardio diseases:
Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Angina pectoris, Ischaemic Heart Disease, High blood pressure, Low blood pressure, Atherosclerosis, Coronary artery disease - Ischaemic, Deep vein thrombosis, Heart failure, Peripheral arterial disease, Arrhythmia, Varicose veins, Rheumatic heart disease, Anemia, Pericarditis , Endocarditis.