Anorexia nervosa from the point of view of Ayurveda
There are two types of anorexia nervosa:
- Restricting Type. In this type of anorexia nervosa, weight loss is achieved through a restricted diet, including: fasting, reducing food intake, skipping meals, reducing carbohydrate intake, and excessive exercise.
- Purging Type / Binge Eating. In this type of anorexia nervosa, weight loss is achieved by vomiting and taking laxatives. Binge eating means eating large amounts of food and being out of control while eating.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat anorexia nervosa:
- Abhyangam – relaxing and refreshing full body massage using special Ayurvedic oils – it helps to balance the mind, improves appetite and helps balance doshas.
- Navarakizhi – is one of the most popular sweat therapies that is special due to use of the medicated rice and milk, that represent the energy of the Moon, which in the human body is responsible for emotions and stress reduction.
- Shirodhara – therapy means pouring oil on the forehead from a specific height for a specific period continuously and rhythmically allowing the oil to run through the scalp and into the hair. It is a purifying and rejuvenating therapy designed to eliminate toxins and mental exhaustion, as well as to relieve stress, and improve the functions of the central nervous system.
- Thalam – it is a medicinal oil that is retained over the head in a sealed manner. A suitable cap is used for retaining the medicinal oil over the head. This process provides nourishment to the brain and it prevents brain damage.
- Thalapothichil – is a procedure of application of medicated paste on the head.
- Trikatu and Ashwagandha are one of the beneficial oral Ayurvedic herbal remedies for treating Anorexia Nervosa. Ashtachoornam and Hinguvachadi churna are useful supplements for improving digestion.
- Anorexia nervosa includes psychological factors, which we recommend to treat only under the supervision of an experienced Ayurvedic doctor.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of anorexia nervosa:
- Taking ginger with lime juice and adding some salt in it is helpful for your digestive system
- Having a glass of hot water on an empty stomach also helps in digestion
- Use Asafoetida or Hing, this herbal remedy is good to encourage digestion
- Cardamom is helpful in treating anorexia
- Always have freshly prepared warm food
- Avoid snacks between meals
- Happy and calm atmosphere while eating helps to improve the condition
- Practice yoga
Check the Ayurvedic treatment of other digestive diseases:
Acid reflux (GERD), Gastritis, Crohn’s disease, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Hyperacidity, Constipation, Coeliac, Appendicitis, Food poisoning, Colon polyps, Intestinal worms, Hemorrhoids, Diarrhea, Pancreatitis, Peptic ulcer, Anal fistula, Lactose intolerance, Mouth ulcers, herpes.