Coeliac disease from the point of view of Ayurveda
Coeliac disease is an autoimmune digestive disorder, in which the body has an allergy to foods containing gluten. Gluten is a kind of protein found in grains. People with coeliac disease react only to the gluten present in wheat, barley and rye.
Coeliac disease is a condition where the villous lining of the small intestine distorts and disappears. Normally the intestinal lining is velvety. The villus increase the surface area of the intestine, and this helps with absorption of nutrients.
When people with coeliac disease eat food or use products containing gluten, their immune system reacts towards the intake of gluten, which leads to damage of the villus. Absence of villus leads to the lack of nutrition, because the body is unable to absorb the nutrients from food.
In Ayurveda, coeliac disease is known as “Grahani”. Coeliac disease refers to imbalance in certain body energies resulting in severe impairment of the immune and digestive systems. This disease is the result of Agni (digestive fire) imbalance. Ayurveda describes coeliac disease as the result of an abnormal reaction of immune cells towards gluten.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat coeliac disease
Ayurvedic treatment for celiac disease is aimed at correcting the immune system. Starting with proper detoxification of the body, treatment includes various procedures such as Panchakarma therapy.
During the consultation with the Ayurvedic doctors, the root cause of coeliac disease and treatment program that includes herbal medicine will be determined.
- The following are some of the best Ayurvedic herbs that can treat the problem of gluten intolerance:
- Kutki is an Ayurvedic herb that’s used in the treatment of several health issues
- Giloy is highly effective in strengthening the response of the immune system
- Triphala is an effective formula designed to support the body's natural cleansing process
- Noni capsules act as an anti-oxidant and may help boost immunity
- Shankh-Vati and Chitrakadi-Vati are natural herbs that correct the digestive disturbance and improve the absorption of nutrients from the food
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of coeliac disease:
- Avoid heavy, fermented, oily food
- Eat light and easily digestible food
- Prepare well-churned buttermilk with cumin, ginger and curry leaves, as this will improve absorption and Agni function as well
- Drink boiled water with cumin, coriander seeds and ginger powder
- Bael fruit and pomegranate have benefits when consumed regularly
Check the Ayurvedic treatment of other digestive diseases:
Acid reflux (GERD), Anorexia nervosa, Gastritis, Crohn’s disease, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Hyperacidity, Constipation, Appendicitis, Food poisoning, Colon polyps, Intestinal worms, Hemorrhoids, Diarrhea, Pancreatitis, Peptic ulcer, Anal fistula, Lactose intolerance, Mouth ulcers, herpes.