Tonsillitis is one of the common diseases
of the respiratory tract. It is the inflammatory condition of the tonsils. The tonsils are a pair of small almond-shaped structures located on both sides of the throat, just above and behind the tongue. This is usually due to a Streptococcal hemolyticus infection. The tonsil structure act as protection against infections that enter the body through the nose and mouth. Tonsils are part of the body's protective lymphatic system, which sucks out bacteria. Above the tonsils are adenoids located at the back of the nose. They also help prevent respiratory infections. This is usually due to a Streptococcal hemolyticus infection.
It affects people of all ages, but it most commonly occurs in growing children. There is 2 type of Tonsillitis:
- Acute tonsillitis occurs as a primary infection of tonsil, or secondary to upper respiratory tract viral infections - Poor oral hygiene, poor nutrition and congested surroundings.
- Chronic tonsillitis occurs due recurrent acute infection & inadequate treatment. Chronic tonsillitis when not treated properly leads to diseases like nephritis, rheumatic fever.
the disease Tonsillitis is termed as
which is described under disorders of the throat. Another diseasetermed as
is also very near to the symptoms of Tonsillitis.
cure for tonsillitis condition from its roots and fortifies the body against further attacks. Management of diseases
involves a combination of a variety of herbal medicines , diet changes , and lifestyle changes with comibnation of
Toniliitis mainly caused due to poor digestion and accumulation of toxins in the body. Ayurvedic treatment of this disease has following steps:
- Restoring the digestive power and building the immunity – Panachkarma procedures a nd detoxication therapies – like Virechana, Vamana, Basti
- Managing the local pain, redness and swelling – using different Ayurvedic medication formulation - prompt relief from throat pain the Lepa (local application) and gargle liquids are prescribed.
- treating the fever or infection caused due to the infection.
Special herbs, medications, therapies and diet is suggested for the treatment of Tonsillitis. To avoid further trouble, Ayurveda also recommends an appropriate regimen and lifestyle. For long term management immune boosters and anti infective herbal preparations are available. Herbs used in treatment of this disorder: Sfatika, Bibhitaka,kantakari,yashthimadhu, swarnmakshik, Giloya, Jatiphala and many more. The exact treatment plan is drawn up in consultation with Ayurvedic doctors.
home remedy for tonsillitis is to do gargling with warm salt water- 1tsp of salt mix with cup of warm water
Tulsi or Holy Basil, is another home remedy for tonsillitis because of its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties - 10 to 12 basil leaves to one and one-half cups of water
Mix 1tsp of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water
Turmeric is good herb for Tonsillitis due to its strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities - 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt mixed- gargle with this mixture morning and evening
Drink lots of fluids
Avoid sour, spicy, acidic food as this may further cause irritation in the throat