Pancreatitis from the point of view of Ayurveda
The pancreas is a gland located behind the stomach in the upper abdomen under the rib cage and it's about 6 inches long. Pancreas is the largest gland in the body, and it produces essential digestive enzymes and regulates blood sugar – it produces insulin. Pancreatitis is a condition that causes terrible sharp pain below the ribs.
Pancreatitis can be acute and chronic. Acute pancreatitis is a sudden inflammation of pancreas, followed by abdominal pain, fever, and diarrhea. Common causes of acute pancreatitis are: abdominal surgery, alcohol abuse, gallstones, abdominal injury, viral infections, cystic fibrosis.
Chronic pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that gets worse over time. This condition causes permanent organ damage and disrupts the normal functioning of the pancreas. Common causes of chronic pancreatitis are: alcohol abuse, smoking, gallbladder diseases, trauma.
In Ayurveda, the pancreas is known as “Grahani”, which means the seat of Agni (digestive fire), and pancreatitis is known as “Agnyashaya”. Agnyashaya can occur due to an imbalance of the Vata-Pitta (components of fire and air), that worsens the digestive fluids present in the pancreas.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat pancreatitis
Ayurveda aims to balance the air and fire elements in the body. According to Ayurveda, the treatment of pancreatitis is combined with a balanced diet, and moderate physical and mental rest. It is important to follow a diet during and after treatment, otherwise symptoms may return. The treatment also may include cleansing procedures, massage, and many more Ayurvedic methods of detoxification, relaxation and harmonizing the state of mind.
Ayurveda provides medicines that detoxify the body and calms the exacerbation of Pitta dosha. Sheet dhara, trikatu churna, detox premium powder, Panchakarma churna are some of the effective Ayurvedic medicines for pancreatitis.
We recommend starting your Ayurvedic treatment only under the supervision of an Ayurvedic doctor.
More tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of pancreatitis:
- Follow a Sattvic diet
- Turmeric has great anti-inflammatory properties that reduce inflammation and pain in the pancreas
- Oregano is rich in phenolic antioxidants
- Eating one or two garlic cloves daily can effectively help curing pancreatitis
- Sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants and have cancer-fighting properties
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) is recommended as the best food for chronic pancreatitis
- Antioxidant-rich foods like blueberries are a standard pancreatic remedy
- Haritaki is an effective herb in the prevention of pancreatitis
- A glass of lime juice every morning is essential for the smooth functioning of the pancreas
- Avoid sour food, fast food, and fried food
Check the Ayurvedic treatment for other liver&gallbladder diseases:
Gallstones, Liver cirrhosis, Jaundice, Fatty liver disease, Liver disease, Liver cancer, Biliary dyskinesia, Primary sclerosing cholangitis, Gallbladder polyps, Gallbladder cancer, Hepatitis.