Basic description of the disease
Trigeminal neuralgia is defined as the inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, causing intense facial pain. The term neuralgia refers to severe pain in a nerve during nerve irritation or damage. A chronic pain condition that affects the trigeminal nerve, which is felt from the face to the brain, and is characterized by intense facial pain that lasts from a few minutes to several hours.
The pain is intense and maybe an isolated episode or occur every few hours, minutes, or seconds. The attack can occur between months or years but in some patients whose pain is not well controlled; it can lead to chronic and severe pain which affects the activities of daily life and cause stress, anxiety and other disorders.
Trigeminal neuralgia is caused by compression of the trigeminal nerve. This is the longest nerve inside the skull, which transmits sensations of pain and touch from your face, teeth and mouth to your brain.Thus the compression is usually caused by a nearby blood vessel pressing on part of the nerve inside the skull.In some of the cases, trigeminal neuralgia can occur as a result of damage to the trigeminal nerve, caused by an underlying condition such as a tumor or multiple sclerosis.
Based on the symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia, in Ayurveda, it can be correlated to Ananthavata , also called as Sirograha.
Ayurvedic treatment is effectively by specific Ayurvedic panchakarma procedures and special head and eye treatments, along with specially prepared ayurvedic medicines, for getting maximum results
The Ayurvedic treatment consists of natural herbs, oils that restore the imbalanced Vata dosha. There are numerous herbs available that works in a synergistic manner to control the pain and inflammation. The herbal medicines improve the micro-circulation within the nerve so that the nerve starts functioning at an optimum level and reduces irritability and perception of pain.
Panchakarma procedures treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia:
- Shirodhara – Shirodhara therapy directly and immediately calms, relaxes and has a cleansing effect on the mind and nerves. It also stimulates the energy centers like Agya chakra and Sahasara Chakra. The process nourishes the Hypothalamus, mainly activates the Pituitary gland and enhances blood circulation in the head. so that the Vata gets normalized and helps to reduce the pain and discomfort.
- Shiro abhyanga –this massage is beneficial when intense pain is observed which is due to vitiation of Vata Dosha. Massage Mahanarayana Taila or Bala-Ashvagandhadi Taila ( Special oils) seems to be effective.
- Pichu –Medicated Oils provide nourishment to the - bone Marrow in the Skull – by which Vitiated Vatadi Doshas get normalized.
Ayurved has the best trigeminal neuralgia care with internal medication:
Ras Raj Ras is widely used in the management of all neuromuscular disorders
Detox Premium Powder - naturally by removing excess toxins.
Ekangveer ras - is widely known for its medicinal properties that work for trigeminal neuralgia
Trikatu syrup is an herbal preparation - balancing the doshas and reduce inflammation, pain, discomfort
Vaat Nashik Vati - mainly used to balance the Vata dosha.
Devastating thoughts and emotions
Anxiety , psychological and social distress, Grief, depression · Suppressed anger · Guilt · Frustrations · Despair , Disappointments in life
- meditation, and visualization
- yoga is recommended
- avoid sour, spicy, oily foods
- increase the intake of diet that is full of minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates
- hot or cold applications
- Holy basil ( Tulsi ) is effective for Trigeminal neuralgia
- pepermint essential oil is effective pain reliever,
- ginger oil comprises
- lavander essential oil helps to minimize inflammation