Basic description of the disease
Anxiety disorders are a type of mental health condition. Symptoms include feelings of nervousness, panic and fear as well as sweating and a rapid heartbeat. Anxiety affects people in different ways leading to a variety of disorders.
The most common forms of anxiety disorders are:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - various situations, difficulty in controlling anxiety and worry, along with restlessness
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - constant thoughts and fears that trigger anxiety.
- Social phobia/Social anxiety disorder - fear of social and performance.
- Specific phobias - Phobias are unsubstantiated fears and people with phobias go to great lengths to avoid the object or situation that triggers anxiety - like airplanes, being in crowded places, to harmless things such as spiders and high-rise buildings.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - part of or witnessing an extremely traumatic event such as accidents or
- Panic disorder - panic attacks that are uncontrollable and include a range of physical symptoms such as dizziness, shortness of breath and excessive perspiration. During these episodes with thoughts - like experiencing a sense of impending doom and feelings such as ‘I am going to die’ or ‘I will go crazy’. These attacks happen for no apparent reason, and the person then lives in constant fear of suffering another such episode.
Anxiety treatment in Ayurveda first involves identifying the type of anxiety disorder and its cause. From an Ayurvedic perspective, anxiety is an imbalance in the Vata dosha. Ayurvedic treatment of anxiety disorder would involve Vata pacifying therapy such as Ayurvedic treatments like - Snehapanam, Abhyangam, Sirodhara, Sirovasthy, Nasyam, Snehavasthy, Kashayavasthy,Thalam, Thalapothichil.
Herbs such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Mandukaparni, Yashtimadhu, Jatamamsi, Amla, Vacha have been found effective in reducing the symptoms of anxiety and relaxing the body and mind.
Meditation can play a major role in improving mental health and will help to cultivate a positive mentality.
Ayurvedic doctor prescribes the most appropriate Ayurvedic therapies and herbal preparations.
Devastating thoughts and emotions
Fear, anxiety, anger, negative thoughts, anger, resentment, selfishness and similar states of emotion that block the free flow of energy.
Regular exercise is a huge help to mental health
Yoga, daily walk will reduce stress and bring oxygen in the blood
Anxiety disorders and alcohol cannot be combined
Cigarette worsen anxiety
Caffeine may cause nervousness
Sleep is an important part of good mental health
Meditation is known to relieve stress and anxiety
Deep breathing exercises
essential oils to relieve anxiety are – bergamot, lavender, clary sage, grapefruit, ylang ylang