Varicose veins from the point of view of Ayurveda
Varicose veins are enlarged, swollen, and twisting veins, often appearing blue or dark purple that often appear on the legs and feet. The problem becomes when the valves in the veins do not work properly, so the blood does not flow effectively.
Veins have one-way valves that prevent blood from flowing backward. When the valves fail, blood begins to collect in the veins instead of moving towards the heart. The veins then enlarge.
Potential causes for varicose veins include:
- age over 50
- standing for long periods of time
In some cases, varicose veins can lead to ulcers or sores on the legs, blood clots, or chronic inflammation.
According to Ayurveda, varicose veins happen due to imbalance of Vata dosha.
How Ayurvedic doctors treat varicose veins
Ayurvedic treatment for varicose veins uses several different types of therapy, including the use of a wide variety of Ayurvedic plants and herbs. Lifestyle practices such as Yoga and Ayurvedic detoxification therapies are very advisable.
Ayurvedic therapies for varicose veins may include a Swedana, which applies steam to make blood flow smoothly upwards. A holistic practitioner may also recommend a Veshtana tight bandage on the legs. The Veshtana strengthens muscles as well as relieves the pain and heaviness.
Ayurvedic massage Abhyanga brings the doshas back into balance. Raktamokshana (Leech therapy) aims to promote better blood flow around varicose veins and naturally promotes a blood thinning compound. Basti (Enema therapy) could be recommended by an Ayurvedic doctor.
Each case is individual. The Ayurvedic therapies, use of herbal products and medications depend on the individual state of health and are prescribed at the discretion of the Ayurvedic doctor. Improper use of products or therapies can lead to even greater health problems and the formation of blood clots or ulcers.
Tips for effective Ayurvedic treatment of varicose veins
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid standing for extended periods of time
- Exercise daily to improve your circulation – try cycling, walking, swimming, yoga
- Blend Tomato with all seeds, it contains properties that are similar to aspirin. Apply this mixture on the skin 3-4 times a day, for at least 2 months.
- Take 10 garlic cloves + juice from 3 lemons + 4 tbsp of olive oil, mix it and apply to the affected area twice a day using a cotton pad
- Take 1 tbsp of carrot juice + 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel + 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, mix it and apply to the affected area 3 times a day
Check the Ayurvedic treatment for other cardio diseases:
Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Angina pectoris, Ischaemic Heart Disease, High blood pressure, Low blood pressure, Atherosclerosis, Coronary artery disease - Ischaemic, Deep vein thrombosis, Heart failure, Peripheral arterial disease, Arrhythmia, Myocarditis, Rheumatic heart disease, Anemia, Pericarditis , Endocarditis.